Join the Official Discord Server for the opportunity to parttake in events, giveaways and more!

Should this suggestion be implemented?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

4mats4

What is your in-game username?:
4mats4

Which galaxy is this suggestion for?:
Factions

What is your suggestion?:
Hello everyone. For those who don't know, I'm 4mats4. Legendary Vortex PvP player dating back to 2012 and member of the greatest faction ever to play on Vortex PvP Getnerded/Innovate. I've recently taken an interest in Minecraft again so I thought I dust off this old proposal and give it another go around.

So without further ado, I present to you... again

Factions Nostalgia!

This is an idea I posted on the Vortex forums multiple times dating back a few years, which gained a lot of attention from the players (it was the most viewed suggestion thread during the 'Wyvern Netowrk' days) but was ultimately shut down by the old staff who couldn't be bothered to give the effort needed to make this work.

I also made a handy video on the topic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NvgCAgufec

To begin, what is Factions Nostalgia? It is a "new" type of factions server that will try to bring players back to the early years of the factions gamemode, trying to emulate the gameplay of years past while being new and exciting! It will mostly be a TNT factions style server, however, a smattering of the HCF gameplay style will be added for a more dynamic playing experience. Factions will be smaller, and have limited number of truces/allies to keep enemies a plenty and limit the number of "mega factions". The game will be simplified as to not intimidate newer players to the gamemode but will take skill and planning in order to be the best faction. I envision a type of game where you log in for an hour or two, a day and not have to develop sleep calendars and rotations of players to not get raided. Events and competitions will keep players interested and engaged throughout the entirety of a map.

How will all of this be accomplished? Well let's take a look:

1). Removal of dispensers/droppers and water protection

This will be the biggest difference between current factions servers and factions nostalgia. The removal of dispensers greatly reduces the effectiveness of cannons, which is countered by the removal of water protection. The removal of water protection will reduce raid times and be much harder to stop since you can't patch a single wall to end a raid considering any patch you make can be shot immediately anyway since there is no water protection. The removal of dispensers makes the maneuverability of TNT a lot more difficult so things like left shooting and mid air stacking won’t really be an issue. And for our redstone gurus that invented the various raiding tactics used today (left shooting, mid-air stacking auto cannons etc.) they can start up new again by attempting to build new cannons that work well within this new gamemode. With no water protection, you'd have to make tnt only do damage to blocks inside enemy faction territory so players can shoot cannons without needing water to prevent them from blowing up (I know this is possible considering Vortex had this back in 2012) This also can help reduce the damage done by insiding since players cannot do damage with tnt inside their own land.

2.) 20 player faction limit, 20 power each player (400 max) 10 chunk claim limit, 2 truces, no /f access, alt factions for buffer claims would be allowed.

For factions nostalgia, I'm proposing that factions be limited to 20 players with 20 power each making a full faction have a total of 400 chunks of claimable land. 20 players to a faction with no /f access and only allowing 2 truces per faction will significantly hinder the ability for factions to make "mega factions", since no player outside of your faction can edit the blocks within your claimed land. That mixed with the limited tnt movement means less claims needed to make a safely claimed base which in this type of scenario can totally be done in 400 claims. The 10-chunk claim limit makes up for the limitations of tnt travel distances caused by the lack of dispensers. The limit of 2 truces also reduces the amount of non pvpable players a faction can have making fights a lot more common. (I've experienced on other servers players running outside of spawn to pvp only to find that they are truced with a majority of the factions, leading to no pvp).

I also feel that because there will be no /f access allowed, having alt factions to help buffer your bases claim you help in allowing factions to build large, complex, and beautiful bases. I feel the more work and personality players put into their bases, unlike the cookie cutter cobblestone cannon bunkers that are built now, would make players viciously defend their bases from attackers. Plus, a full faction would allow there to be enough claimable land to build larger bases, and with the model larger bases are actually more secure as limited tnt mobility would mean a simple base breach wouldn't signal the complete destruction of a base like it currently does. I know as someone who was more of a builder type, I always loved looking at base design and seeing what type of bases players would come up with but bases these days are all the same. I would gladly link videos of the larger bases with 'personality' if would like more of an idea of what I'm talking about.

3.) Death in PVP

In an attempt to make pvp mean something more than it currently does, as well as turn it into a tool to be used to raid factions, having a player loose 8 power every time they are killed by another player makes dying have a much greater significance since one death can account for 2% of your factions power (if you have a full faction). Stringing together 4 or 5 kills in a row on a defending faction could allow for a faction on the offensive to overclaim a base, adding additional depth to raiding. A faction could legitimately brute force a base into being raidable simply by fighting outside of it. Dying in warzone wouldn't incur the -8 faction power penalty. And dying not by the hands of another player (Like falling, dying by lava etc.) would be the normal -4 power per death to not put too much strain on a faction if you die some dumb way.

4.) Map Size and Dynamic

Regarding the dynamic of the map, I'm torn as to what the best way to go about it is. On one hand I feel that there shouldn't be corner claim bases making all bases 'middle map bases' thus making everything fair, however, I do feel that corner bases should be a thing because it would allow for much larger bases to be built, so please leave your opinions on this topic in the comments.

Regardless, I think a 'smaller' map size would be more optimal here. I'm thinking 6,000x6,000

5.) Simplicity

This server is designed to be a lot simpler then current factions servers by not having an insane learning curve in order to be good. The major issue plaguing factions as a whole right now is the undeniable fact that there are more players leaving the gamemode than joining the gamemode. This type of server is meant to be a 'pick up and play' type of server, where you don’t need to have played the game for 4 years and have a degree in ballistics engineering in order to be successful. The removal of dispensers makes cannons a lot simpler and the removal of water protection makes sand walls the only real viable base defense for larger bases.

I want a one man faction to have the potential to be just as successful as a full 20 man faction, and I feel this type of gamemode can make that happen.

6.) Economy, the removal of creeper spawners, and the criminalization of afking

The economy should be set to where making money is more difficult to do, and for automatic money farming to be virtually eliminated or for it to be too inefficient to be worth it. Because of the buff to raiding with the removal of water protection, TNT should be more difficult to obtain. This can be done by removing creeper spawners so factions cannot gain vast amounts of TNT quickly and making TNT somewhat expensive to buy in the shop as this will be the only way to obtain TNT. A Faction will need to save up money to buy the TNT necessary to raid, or several smaller factions will save up to buy the TNT necessary to raid a large faction. With this being the case I think the best way to gain money is by making items that need to be hand farmed (Sugar cane, coco beans, wheat, nether wart, blaze rods etc.) be worth the most in the shop. This will make it so factions who take the time to grind will be able to obtain TNT faster as opposed to factions that afk their crops. Of course afkable crops and spawner drops will sell for a decent price, however, crops farmed by hand will sell for much more. In order to further limit low effort money making, I suggest making afk machines illegal and to add an afk kick timer of 15 minutes as well as banning console client afk relogging. Also, automation can be deterred by making the price for items like pistons and other various redstone related items that are needed for automation very high to discourage the construction of them.

And as sand walls will become the main method of defense for large bases, removing the option to buy sand in the shop (or to make it very expensive) is a good way to go to force factions to work for their sand walls. Obviously obsidian would be very expensive in the shop as well. I'm a firm believer in factions actually having to work to become the best not donating the most and just sitting around talking in chat afking their crops making millions. Earn your wealth.

7.) Almost complete removal of creeper eggs

Because there is no water protection, creeper eggs, if not regulated, would be completely OP. I think that limiting the amount of creeper eggs being brought into the game and limiting what creeper eggs are able to destroy to things like spawners, chests, hoppers and beacons, would allow them to still be usable whilst not being super OP. Even then however I think that creeper eggs should be extremely rare and only to be bought for millions of dollars in the shop.

8.) Mcmmo, god apples, and stacked pot villagers

Because pvp will have a much greater importance in the factions nostalgia model, mcmmo should not be given out in donor kits since it can be a major game changer. Mcmmo should still be in the game, however, make it so pvp mcmmo exp will only be obtained when fighting other players. This rewards players who pvp frequently and promotes pvp since you can only upgrade your stats by doing so. God apples should also not be given out in the daily donator kits. They should need to be hand crafted to be used. This will give zombie pigmen spawners a greater value (further increasing overall base values) as well since the gold nuggets can be used for god apple production. Since god apples will almost undoubtably be more rare, you could even reduce the god apple cooldown to 2-3 minutes (if there still is one at all, haven't played in a while). Since the stacked pot villagers are so popular and have been a part of Vortex since the beginning, I say factions nostalgia should have them too, albeit in a more limited role. Have only stacked drinkable buffs (Strength, Speed, Regeneration, and Fire Resistance), no splash potions and bring back the stacked splash debuffs (Poison, Weakness, Slowness and Instant Damage). I have fond memories of trolling people with those stacked splash potions! Yes I get they could be considered "unfair" if you're looking for a competitive pvp environment, however, Nostalgia is more about fun than competition and you can have a lot of laughs trolling people with these. (and if you're really looking to have a 'competitive' fight, just make an agreement with your opponent to not use them)

9). Make witch spawners unique and useful

Currently, witch spawners are completely useless. Have witch spawners drop single splash potions of a higher than vanilla potency (Health 3, strength 3, speed 3, regeneration 3, fire resistance 15 min). This will add a new valuable spawner for factions to use while at the same time adding a new and unique feature to the server that, to my knowledge, has not been seen on any other server. The addition of the high potency potions will create a real strategic depth to pvp, making players decide between loading up on vanilla stacked potions allowing room for additional sets of armor, or using the above potency potions which take up more inventory space. It adds just the smallest amount to strategy instead of the formulaic and stagnant strategy of just loading up of sets, stacked potions and god apples used now.

10). Restructuring of donor kits

As it stand currently, donors are extremely overpowered at the start of each new factions map. The way the factions nostalgia model is supposed to work is by making the players who put in the most work the ones who become the most successful.

So since this will be a totally separate server from factions moon, the kits will be a little different. I've tried to make them more centered around pvp, and vastly less pay to win; this model is more of a "I really like playing here so I would like to have a small advantage by monitarily supporting the server" vs the "I need to donate or I'll get stomped" mindset. Also in an attempt to boost the amount of pvp happening, kit cooldowns should be lowered to 24 hours. More gear means more fighting, and makes even the smallest of bases potential raid targets as good gear might be inside. In a nod to the roots of the server, and as a nod to the hardcore OP factions community, I think bringing back above vanilla gear (i.e sharp 6 and 7s and prot 5, 6 and 7 gear etc.) in "once per map" kits could be a cool and unique addition as it allows donators to have above vanilla gear while not making them extremely overpowered. By limiting the daily use kits to standard vanilla protection 4 unbreaking 3, it allows non donors the chance to kill and obtain above vanilla gear as a sort of "trophy system" for bragging rights (yes standard gear is capable of defeating the op gear, I can link videos of this actually happening on old vortex as proof it you would like).

No spawners, obsidian, MCMMO credits, TNT etc will be given out in the kits in an effort to not make them "pay to win". I envision giving out money in the kits, however, I'll have to wait until the economy gets settled to decide how much will be given out with what kit, however, it will be a much smaller amount in comparison to current rates. Also I have no idea what commands will come with each rank just yet, so stand by on that. As the name of the server is 'nostalgia' I think it would be fun to bring back old vortex rank names and colors for this server.

Here’s a breakdown of what I think these kits should look like:

Donator - $5

Daily Kit:
Diamond Helm: Protection 1
Diamond Chest: Protection 1
Diamond Legs: Protection 1
Diamond Boots: Protection 1
Diamond Sword: Sharpness 1
Diamond Axe: Sharpness 1
Diamond Shovel: Efficiency 1
Diamond Pickaxe: Efficiency 1
Bow: Power 2
Steak: x64
Arrows: x64
Golden Apples: x2

Once Per Map Kit:
Diamond Helm: Protection 4 Unbreaking 3
Diamond Chest: Protection 4 Unbreaking 3
Diamond Legs: Protection 4 Unbreaking 3
Diamond Boots: Protection 4 Unbreaking 3
Diamond Sword: Sharpness 5, Fire Aspect 2, Looting 3, Smite 5, Bane 5, Unbreaking 3
Diamond Axe: Sharpness 3
Diamond Shovel: Efficiency 5, Unbreaking 3, Fortune 3
Diamond Pickaxe: Efficiency 5, Unbreaking 3, Fortune 3
Bow: Power 5, Flame 1, Infinity 1, Unbreaking 3
Arrow x1
Golden Apples x64
God Apples x1
Emerald Blocks x1
Diamond Pickaxe: Silk Touch

1 Row Enderchest

VIP - $15

Daily Kit:

Diamond Helm: Protection 1, Unbreaking 1
Diamond Chest: Protection 1, Unbreaking 1
Diamond Legs: Protection 1, Unbreaking 1
Diamond Boots: Protection 1, Unbreaking 1
Diamond Sword: Sharpness 2
Diamond Shovel: Efficiency 2, Unbreaking 1
Diamond Pickaxe: Efficiency 2, Unbreaking 1
Bow: Power 2, Flame 1
Golden Apples: x3

Once Per Map Kit:
Diamond Helm: Protection 4 Unbreaking 4
Diamond Chest: Protection 4 Unbreaking 4
Diamond Legs: Protection 4 Unbreaking 4
Diamond Boots: Protection 4 Unbreaking 4
Diamond Sword: Sharpness 5, Fire Aspect 2, Looting 3, Smite 5, Bane 5, Unbreaking 3
Diamond Shovel: Efficiency 6, Unbreaking 4, Fortune 3
Diamond Pickaxe: Efficiency 6, Unbreaking 4, Fortune 3
Arrow x1
Golden Apples x64
God Apples x2
Emerald Blocks x2
Diamond Pickaxe: Silk touch

2 Row Enderchest

Elite - $30

Daily Kit:

Diamond Helm: Protection 2, Unbreaking 1
Diamond Chest: Protection 2, Unbreaking 1
Diamond Legs: Protection 2, Unbreaking 1
Diamond Boots: Protection 2, Unbreaking 1
Diamond Sword: Sharpness 3, Fire Aspect 1
Diamond Shovel: Efficiency 2, Unbreaking 1, Fortune 1
Diamond Pickaxe: Efficiency 2, Unbreaking 1, Fortune 1
Bow: Power 2, Flame 1, Infinity 1
Golden Apples: x4

Once Per Map Kit:
Diamond Helm: Protection 5 Unbreaking 4
Diamond Chest: Protection 5 Unbreaking 4
Diamond Legs: Protection 5 Unbreaking 4
Diamond Boots: Protection 5 Unbreaking 4
Diamond Sword: Sharpness 5, Fire Aspect 2, Looting 3, Smite 6, Bane 6, Unbreaking 3
Diamond Shovel: Efficiency 6, Unbreaking 5, Fortune 3
Diamond Pickaxe: Efficiency 6, Unbreaking 5, Fortune 3
Arrow x1
Golden Apples x64
God Apples x3
Emerald Blocks x4
Diamond Pickaxe: Silk touch

2 Row Enderchest

Legendary - $50

Daily Kit:

Diamond Helm: Protection 2, Unbreaking 2
Diamond Chest: Protection 2, Unbreaking 2
Diamond Legs: Protection 2, Unbreaking 2
Diamond Boots: Protection 2, Unbreaking 2
Diamond Sword: Sharpness 3, Fire Aspect 2
Diamond Axe: Sharpness 2
Diamond Shovel: Efficiency 3, Unbreaking 2, Fortune 2
Diamond Pickaxe: Efficiency 3, Unbreaking 2, Fortune 2
Bow: Power 3, Flame 1, Infinity 1
Golden Apples: x5

Once Per Map Kit:
Diamond Helm: Protection 5 Unbreaking 5
Diamond Chest: Protection 5 Unbreaking 5
Diamond Legs: Protection 5 Unbreaking 5
Diamond Boots: Protection 5 Unbreaking 5
Diamond Sword: Sharpness 6, Fire Aspect 2, Looting 4, Smite 7, Bane 7, Unbreaking 4
Diamond Axe: Sharpness 4
Diamond Shovel: Efficiency 7, Unbreaking 6, Fortune 4
Diamond Pickaxe: Efficiency 7, Unbreaking 6, Fortune 4
Bow: Power 6, Flame 1, Infinity 1, Unbreaking 3
Arrow x1
Golden Apples x64
God Apples x4
Emerald Blocks x6

3 Row Enderchest

Immortal - $100

Daily Kit:

Diamond Helm: Protection 3, Unbreaking 2
Diamond Chest: Protection 3, Unbreaking 2
Diamond Legs: Protection 3, Unbreaking 2
Diamond Boots: Protection 3, Unbreaking 2
Diamond Sword: Sharpness 4, Fire Aspect 2
Diamond Shovel: Efficiency 4, Unbreaking 3, Fortune 2
Diamond Pickaxe: Efficiency 4, Unbreaking 3, Fortune 2
Bow: Power 4, Flame 1, Infinity 1
Golden Apples: x6

Once Per Map Kit:
Diamond Helm: Protection 6 Unbreaking 5
Diamond Chest: Protection 6 Unbreaking 5
Diamond Legs: Protection 6 Unbreaking 5
Diamond Boots: Protection 6 Unbreaking 5
Diamond Sword: Sharpness 6, Fire Aspect 2, Looting 4, Smite 8, Bane 8, Unbreaking 4
Diamond Shovel: Efficiency 7, Unbreaking 6, Fortune 4
Diamond Pickaxe: Efficiency 7, Unbreaking 6, Fortune 4
Arrow x1
Golden Apples x64
God Apples x5
Emerald Blocks x8

4 Row Enderchest

Reaper - $150

Daily Kit:

Diamond Helm: Protection 3, Unbreaking 3
Diamond Chest: Protection 3, Unbreaking 3
Diamond Legs: Protection 3, Unbreaking 3
Diamond Boots: Protection 3, Unbreaking 3
Diamond Sword: Sharpness 4, Fire Aspect 2
Bow: Power 4, Flame 1, Infinity 1
Golden Apples: x7

Once Per Map Kit:
Diamond Helm: Protection 6 Unbreaking 10
Diamond Chest: Protection 6 Unbreaking 10
Diamond Legs: Protection 6 Unbreaking 10
Diamond Boots: Protection 6 Unbreaking 10
Diamond Sword: Sharpness 6, Fire Aspect 2, Looting 4, Smite 9, Bane 9, Unbreaking 4
Diamond Shovel: Efficiency 8, Unbreaking 7, Fortune 4
Diamond Pickaxe: Efficiency 8, Unbreaking 7, Fortune 4
Arrow x1
Golden Apples x64
God Apples x6
Emerald Blocks x16

5 Row Enderchest

Emerald - $200

Daily Kit:

Diamond Helm: Protection 4, Unbreaking 3
Diamond Chest: Protection 4, Unbreaking 3
Diamond Legs: Protection 4, Unbreaking 3
Diamond Boots: Protection 4, Unbreaking 3
Diamond Sword: Sharpness 5, Fire Aspect 2
Bow: Power 5, Flame 1, Infinity 1
Golden Apples: x8

Once Per Map Kit:

Diamond Helm: Protection 7 Unbreaking 15
Diamond Chest: Protection 7 Unbreaking 15
Diamond Legs: Protection 7 Unbreaking 15
Diamond Boots: Protection 7 Unbreaking 15
Diamond Sword: Sharpness 7, Fire Aspect 3, Looting 5, Smite 10, Bane 10, Unbreaking 5
Diamond Axe: Sharpness 5
Diamond Shovel: Efficiency 9, Unbreaking 8, Fortune 4
Diamond Pickaxe: Efficiency 9, Unbreaking 8, Fortune 4
Bow: Power 7, Flame 1, Infinity 1, Unbreaking 3
Arrow x1
Golden Apples x64
God Apples x7
Emerald Blocks x32

6 Row Enderchest

Vortex - $300

Daily Kit:

2x Diamond Helm: Protection 4, Unbreaking 3
2x Diamond Chest: Protection 4, Unbreaking 3
2x Diamond Legs: Protection 4, Unbreaking 3
2x Diamond Boots: Protection 4, Unbreaking 3
2x Diamond Sword: Sharpness 5, Fire Aspect 2
2x Diamond Axe: Sharpness 3
2x Diamond Shovel: Efficiency 6, Unbreaking 3, Fortune 4
2x Diamond Pickaxe: Efficiency 6, Unbreaking 3, Fortune 4
2x Bow: Power 5, Flame 1, Infinity 1
Golden Apples: x10

Once Per Map Kit:

Diamond Helm: Protection 7 Unbreaking 20
Diamond Chest: Protection 7 Unbreaking 20
Diamond Legs: Protection 7 Unbreaking 20
Diamond Boots: Protection 7 Unbreaking 20
Diamond Sword: Sharpness 7, Fire Aspect 4, Looting 5, Smite 10, Bane 10, Unbreaking 5
Diamond Axe: Sharpness 5, Fire Aspect 1
Diamond Shovel: Efficiency 10, Unbreaking 10, Fortune 5
Diamond Pickaxe: Efficiency 10, Unbreaking 10, Fortune 5
Bow: Power 7, Flame 1, Infinity 1, Unbreaking 3
Arrow x1
Golden Apples x64
God Apples x8
Emerald Blocks x64
Creeper Eggs x1

6 Row Enderchest

The kits are way less pay to win then they are on most other servers, which will promote a more balanced server between donators and non donors. Making the daily kit items almost solely vanilla enchants give non donators a chance to build up an arsenal to compete against donators, while giving donators the instant satisfaction of having ready to go pvp gear every day.

Plus, there is money to be made with this OP gear! You can sell sets of this gear online in the store to players who want them. To be clear, YOU DON'T NEED THIS GEAR TO BE SUCCESSFUL, however, it does provide an advantage and selling individual sets online could entice PVP centered players to purchase this high level gear. This won't become too OP as this is not a /kit, but a one time purchase so if you lose it, it won't refresh the next day and you'll have to either fight or raid a base to get it back, or buy another set in the online store.

Cha-fucking-ching
$$$$$$$

All donation ranks will come with the ability to change the colors of your in game username down to the letter.

Examples:
[Donator] 4mats4
[Elite] 4mats4
[Vortex] 4mats4

A little customization goes a long way.

11). Removing unclaimed vaults

So this may just be a personal thing, but I think removing unclaimed vaults will be a good thing for the server. How can this be done? Simple, make setting a home only be allowed within a factions claimed land. Forcing players to store their gear in a base will mean any base could be potentially valuable. More bases = more bases to raid = more items to loot = more items to defend = more pvp.

12). Events and competitions

I think there should be more server-sanctioned events to boost player interest on the server. Events like 1v1, 3v3 and 5v5 tournaments with unique prizes (Such as sharpness and protection 8s) are an option, along with a staff vs player event in which staff members use Vortex rank once per map kit level gear, and some custom gear, and upon death drop said gear for the players to fight for and potentially keep. I also think some competitions like base design contest on the forums voted on by the players and staff, and an end of the map /f top winner prize be done. I especially think the end of map /f top winner is a good idea since it will promote competition late in the map between factions in an attempt to win the prize.

So that about does it for the factions nostalgia proposal. I'm always looking to add to it so if you have any suggestions, feel free to leave them below. I really think think this is a great idea, so please contribute to the discussion and share this with your fellow players and get their take on it. I'm also willing to talk with and help out the staff with this any way I can.

Thanks for reading!

SnowyBacca

Yes, I totally. agree, I used to be a player that only played factions.
I currently don't play it anymore because it's gotten "Too big" I feel there is a lot of potential to this concept although we could still make more improvements to the game mode itself. Maybe make one donor rank that gives you a good gear set a "God set" like Prot 5 unbreaking 3. But instead of that use the 1.14 version, Prot 5, Blas prot 5, etc... Make it a op set that can only be used once a week. That would make it like an old mc server also gives the donor rank a /feed and the same thing as the old days but use the 'Survival effect'. Like, try using a modern version of Minecraft combined with 1.4 or 1.6. Maybe still have the max claims (20 chunks) but still, use obsidian. Make the map a little bigger, factions in these times were based on Trust, if you invited someone that you didn't trust you'd be inside (Which I don't think should be bannable on this game mode). If the map is too small people NEW people won't be able to start on this server at all, after all, Vortex PVP is a huge network atm.

Another tip that I would have is: Make the /warp PVP just a box. It would make it like old PVP where you could only escape via ladders that are really high or /spawn when you are out of combat.

I have to agree I'd like to see an old-style faction-based game mode but make a modern twist around it

Last edited:

DarkTrainer45

Plasma
Plasma
Ether
Cloud
Sadly, not many people use Forums anymore. But I'd like to see something like this and see how it'd turn out compared to the Factions of today.